Friday, June 15, 2007

We are underway!

The Cobb Community Summer Singers has begun its 2007 season, practicing on Monday nights, building up for a concert in August. It's very exciting. The first rehearsal last week drew almost 50 voices, and we sound great already. The Director, Lynn Fowler, tells us that everyone who was expected couldn't make it, so we'll be even bigger next week. I can't wait!
Our program contains the following songs as of the first rehearsal:
Hallelujah Chorus from Mt. of Olives, Beethoven
Sanctus from Requiem, Faure
How Lovely Is Thy Dwelling Place, Brahms
Let All the World in Every Corner Sing, R. V. Williams
Hark! I Hear the Harps Eternal, arr. Parker
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Wilberg
How Can I Keep From Singing, Walker
When I Can Read My Title Clear, arr. Parker
Elijah Rock, Hogan
Give Me Jesus, Fleming
John the Revelator, Caldwell / Ivory

Many of these I have sung before, so that is great nostalgia. All of the songs are challenging, and that makes the whole thing worth while -- I get enough "easy songs" at my regular weekly church choir.
The bass section is made up of mostly deep basses, and only one baritone other than myself. There are only about 5-6 tenors, so we are a little light in that section. Otherwise, they sound great. This chorus has something I haven't seen in almost 15 years -- female tenors. I haven't sung with girl tenors since college. They add a different sound to the tenor group -- I don't love it in a small ensemble, but it's great for a whole chorus.

Free Monday nights and live in the greater Marietta area? Come on down!

No comments: