Monday, June 18, 2007

Seriously, Nobody Tells Me Anything.

My cousin, Dan, is getting married soon, and we are all very happy about it. I have been close to Dan for years, and he is one of the people I missed most when I first moved to the Deep South. After I moved, he met a very nice girl that I am sorry that I did not get to spend much time with, but reports from my family tell me that "she's a keeper."
Our whole family is excited about getting together for the occasion. The last time we got together was for my sister Bean's wedding. That was a hoot. This time however, none of us are the ones getting married. We get to sit back and enjoy it and spend the entire time together as a big family.
Or so I thought.
Turns out that I will be singing at this event.
Not that I mind. I am actually flattered to be asked. I will be singing in the family quartet again, performing "An Irish Blessing" during the ceremony. I sung the same song with Katie and Annie at Bean's wedding, and this time she'll be joining us. It will be great.
Nope, I don't mind that at all. I'm really looking forward to it. In fact, I think it will make the event even more special.
The thing of it is, I didn't find out that i am singing until last night. My mom told me during our Father's Day phone call. Turns out she has known for quite a while. Turns out my Wonderful Wife has also known for a little while. Nobody tells me anything.
It's really not a big deal. I'm just complaining for the sake of the story. It just supports the cause of the blog, I guess. My WW was saving the news for a time closer to the event so I didn't spend the upcoming weeks fretting over how my voice sounds, what the parts were, whether or not I remember the words. And she's right -- I would. I'd hem and haw over it for days.
Bah. The bottom line is that it would be the same either way, whether or not I knew about it. I have been singing regularly for months and I pretty much know the song. I could learn about anything in a weekend, and I have way more than that to practice this one.
Funny how well my wife knows me.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

You of course will sing fine--and just so you are the first to know--I was planning to ask you to be part of a quartet had you and Elise been able to attend our wedding. :)

A few years ago at my cousin Andy's wedding,both Marty and I were asked ahead of time to sing different songs during the ceremony. No problem. The day of the rehearsal, we found out from the organist that the two of us were on schedule to cantor for the entire Mass. Wha?? That was a scramble, but we made it through.

So, even though you were the last to know, you'll sing beautifully. :)

Matt said...

Thanks, Sheila. I appreciate the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Dan and I were THRILLED that you all could attend and that you sang. Your sister actually volunteered all of you...I figured the more the merrier! It truly meant a lot to have my "new" family be part of the big day. I am also glad that this "topic" could support the theme of your blog :)

Dawn Peitler

PS Dan misses you immensely as well, and I enjoy the multitude of stories about your childhood "adventures">

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt
You guys really did sound great and it was good to see you, tho we didn't seem to have a chance to chat! Bet you'll be coming up to visit more often after next March 2nd!!
(Congrats!) Those children of yours sure are cute! Paddy was very glad to see "Bubba from Georgia" again!
Love
Old Aunt Mary