Friday, March 10, 2006

Almost three years now...

My Wonderful Wife's birthday is coming up -- she is turning 29 for the second time. I intentionally exaggerate the effect it will have on her by not actually NAMING the number of years, mostly because I think I am so funny. I don't think she minds it one bit though; she has accomplished just about everything she expected to before she reached this age. I wonder how many people can claim the same successes?
I hit that milestone a few years back and have tried hard not to look back. I am lucky enough to have so much to look forward to that I don't notice so much the time gone by. These two kids of mine occupy more and more of my head every day-- I can't wait to meet them when they get older, I think they are going to be great people. I constantly think about all the places I want to take them, all the things I want to show them, all the things I want to shield them from.
Protective? Yes. Obsessive? Nah, just short of that I bet. Interested? Heck ya. I just love knowing them. They are a lot of fun to be around, and it makes me so happy everytime they let me focus my attention on them. Smothering? I'll try not to be. I have to remind myself to give them just enough space for them to spread their own wings.
So.
Anyway.
(wipes misty eyes)
Aw shucks. These are great times.
And it all started with that one long roadtrip with the girl who would be my wife. We have been married almost three years now. And there is still so much to look forward to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When did you start getting sooo sappy? Oh my gosh! And you're anniversary isn't until June, right?

Well, I'm so glad that you are very happy because I was a little worried BYME (before you met Elise) that you might not get all out life that you hoped/dreamed for, et al. So far so good! :)